The strength, vibrancy and innovation of Sacramento’s tech community was in full motion at the 2019 TechEdge conference held yesterday at the Sheraton Grand hotel. The event featured speakers from across the technology ecosystem from startup founders to investors and technology leaders such as Uber and Amazon Web Services (AWS).
Of particular note was the lively discussion on the Future of Mobility with panelists CSUS’ Yvonne Harris, Uber’s Austin Heyworth, Arien Orchard of SMUD and AWS’ Phil Silver. Key takeaways included the need for universities to better prepare students for opportunities in mobility-related jobs, the special mobility challenges of disadvantaged communities, and the value of data sharing between public and private entities to better understand how to align mobility options and population needs. The panel noted the technology sweet spot for Sacramento technology companies is in component manufacturing and automation testing.
Four innovative Game Changer companies were recognized for their growth in the region.
• Engage3 provides an omni-channel competitive intelligence SaaS platform, MissionControl™, that improves CPG companies’ competitive visibility and maximizes their ROI.
• NeuroVision Imaging is focused on delivering a novel and breakthrough measurement of retinal autofluorescence.
• Rhombus Systems offers next generation video security powered by AI and computer vision, through centralized cloud management. The video surveillance system eliminates servers, hard drives and bulky hardware.
• Thinci provides hardware and data infrastructure for AI applications, optimizing machine learning workflows, and using AI to power the next generation of smart devices from drones and automobiles to smart cities and homes.
In addition to the Future of Mobility, innovation topics included:
• StartUp Funding
• New Media Technology
• The intersection of Sports, Business, Gaming and Technology
• Exploring the World of IoT
• How Government is Fostering Innovation through Technology
• The Future of Medical Technology
• AGtech in the Region